I have made 10 basic rules to improve your ranking on search engines. If you stick to these rules you'll come a long way:
- Give your page a relevant name (the title tag)
- Get the name of the page into the URL (www.xxx.co.uk/name-of-the-page)
- Chunking and Labeling - Divide your text into appropriate bites and give them headlines
- Link to other pages on your site ie related products
- Make alt texts on images
- Update your content regularly
- Make sure that the content is relevant
- Make lists
- Exchange links with partners (not with dubious people contacting you by e-mail)
- Write the words people are looking for into your text (the words they might type into a search engine)
These ten small rules are easy to do and it's free except from your working hours.
If you are not satisfied with these 10 easy steps to search engine optimization, you can in Google's Webmaster Central read Google's own guidelines to SEO. Here you can also find a Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide! Read it and get wiser and get more customer on your website from search engines.
If you have other tips how to increase ranking on search engines please add them under comments.